Our very own North View Elementary PTA in West Virginia won a $2000 grant last year from National PTA, so it can happen!
The National PTA is pleased to announce a request for proposals for the 2016-2017 Healthy Lifestyles: Healthy School Meals Grant, which will award $2,000 to 25 local PTAs. This funding is made possible thanks to funding from Pew Charitable Trust.
The application is now open and will close on April 4, 2016 at 12:00 PM ET. We will host at least two webinars to review the grant requirements and application process. We will record the webinar for on-demand viewing at www.PTA.org/SchoolMeals.
Webinar registration is open:
- Issue a PTA Healthy Lifestyles challenge each school day through the morning announcements (e.g., "Challenge #1: Drink only water or low-fat milk today!")
- Promote the challenge through the school's social media sites.
- Put a yard sign with the daily challenge in front of student drop-off locations.
- Healthy Lifestyles Expo (i.e., health fair with activities and games for children)
- Fun Run (i.e., walk, run or bike event around school)
- Healthy Foods From Around the World
- Plant a community vegetable garden or host a farmer's market.
- Work with a nutritionist to assess the nutrition options at the school and advocate for healthier choices, including Low- or no-sugar drink options, Flavorful and fresh fruits and vegetables, Low-sugar, low-sodium snack options, Portions appropriate for students' ages
- Recruit parent or community volunteers to support active play during the day, such as recess, before school and after-school playground or gym time.